This pumpkin cake is soft, moist and full of pumpkin spice! This is a perfect recipe to bring to potlucks or family gatherings.
I love autumn and everything that comes with it - sweaters, pumpkin patches and the beauty of the fall leaves. Most of all though, I love fall baking. The pumpkin cake is one that I have tried to perfect, and I think I now have the best recipe. This cake has the perfect amount of spice, it is so fluffy and moist, and has the most delectable cream cheese topping!
What ingredients are in a pumpkin cake?
- Flour - all-purpose flour is used here in this recipe. Cake flour is too light for this cake.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - I use both to help the cake rise.
- Salt and Vanilla Extract - these build flavour
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - I have a recipe for pumpkin pie spice, or use one that is in your spice cupboard.
- Oil - this helps provide a moist crumb
- Eggs - for structure and moistness
- Sugar - I use both granulated sugar and brown sugar. Brown sugar has more flavour to it, so I add more of that.
- Pumpkin Puree - Make sure you buy the can that is pumpkin puree. We don't want to use pumpkin pie filling here.
What topping should I use?
Pumpkin cake and cream cheese icing were made to be together! My cream cheese icing has a lot of cream cheese, a bit of unsalted butter, and only the right amount of confectioner's sugar to sweeten the icing without hiding the rich flavour of cream cheese.
Here are some more fall baking recipes:
- PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE WITH CAJETA SAUCE
- SOFT CINNAMON ROLLS
- SPICED PANCAKES FOR BABY & TODDLER
- PERFECT RICE KRISPIE SQUARES
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE RECIPE
- 2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup (240ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup (150g) brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cup (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup (58g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360g) confectioner's sugar
- pinch of salt
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, both sugars, pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add in confectioner's sugar and salt and beat slowly together until the sugar is incorporated. Beat on high for a few minutes more.
- Spread the icing over the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm the cake before slicing.
- Instead of using store bought pumpkin pie spice, you can use my pumpkin pie spice recipe to make your own.
- This cake is best stored refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 415mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.