These are the most Perfect Rice Krispie Squares! They are loaded with marshmallows and brown butter, and look like they came from a bakery!
Everyone needs a great rice krispie square recipe, and this one is it! I have tried this recipe time and time again and it is the best I have ever had. There are two factors that take a regular boring rice krispie square into perfection - brown butter and extra marshmallows stirred in at the end!
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is just butter that has been cooked a little bit longer until the solids turn a nutty brown colour. Brown butter gives a richness to these rice krispie squares that brings them to another level!
Why Extra Marshmallows?
Stir the extra marshmallows in right at the end and let them soften just a little - you want pockets of marshmallow goo in your squares. This will not only make the rice krispie squares taste delicious, but they will look like they came from a bakery.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Perfect Rice Krispie Squares?
- Unsalted butter - I like to use unsalted butter so I can control how much salt I add to a dish. You can use salted butter, but just omit the extra salt the recipe calls for.
- Mini marshmallows - You can use large marshmallows if you prefer, but you will also need mini marshmallows to stir in at the end. Mini marshmallows also melt faster.
- Vanilla extract - vanilla ups the taste of the rice krispie squares and makes them so delicious.
- Salt- only if you used unsalted butter.
- Rice Krispie cereal - Make sure that you use fresh cereal for best possible taste. Stale cereal will make stale tasting rice krispie squares.
How Do I Make Perfect Rice Krispie Squares?
Line an 8x8" baking pan with tin foil and grease it with butter. Set that aside and put some butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the butter until it starts forming brown solids and smells nutty. Take the pan off the heat and throw in your marshmallows, reserving 1 ½ cups for the end.
Stir until the marshmallows are melted and then stir in the vanilla and salt. Add the cereal in next and stir it all together, and then mix in the reserved marshmallows. Allow them to soften just a bit and scoop the mixture into the baking dish. Let that sit for a few hours until the rice krispie squares have hardened.
If You Liked this Recipe, Then You Might Also Like These:
- BEST EVER CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES
- S’MORES COOKIE WITH HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT MARSHMALLOW
- SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH RASPBERRY ICING
- CHEWY CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- ¾ (170g) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (400g) mini marshmallows, divided
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 cups (450g) Rice Krispie cereal
- Line an 8x8" baking dish with aluminum foil and grease with butter; set aside.
- Place butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the butter until it is browned in colour and smells nutty, a few minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups of mini marshmallows and pour the remainder into the saucepan. Stir until the marshmallows have melted and then stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Add in the cereal and stir until the cereal is all mixed into the marshmallows.
- Mix the reserved mini marshmallows in next. I like to put the saucepan back over the heat and stir until the mini marshmallows have softened slightly. Do no let them melt completely.
- Spoon the mixture into the reserved baking dish and press it down evenly with a piece of parchment paper. Allow it to sit until hardened, about 1 hour.
- Remove the rice krispie square out of the baking dish and cut into 9 squares. Store the risce krispies squares in an airtight container.
- If you would like your rice krispie squares to be less tall, press them into a 9x13" baking dish.
- Make sure you use fresh cereal for your rice krispie squares for best possible taste.
- You can use salted butter instead of unsalted, but omit the extra salt in the recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.