Forget take out and make your own pizza with this easy pizza dough recipe. It uses just 5 ingredients and will be the only pizza dough recipe you need!
About a year ago I started searching for the perfect pizza dough recipe. I finally found the perfect one and have made it countless of times since. This pizza dough is soft and chewy and has great flavour!
If you have ever made dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls, then you can make pizza dough. It is very quick to make and requires less steps. If you are new at bread making, have a look at my baking with yeast post. It will give you all the tools you need to confidently bake with yeast.
What ingredients do I need?
- Instant yeast - I used active dry yeast
- Sugar - yeast needs sugar to produce carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide helps the dough to rise.
- Warm water - the water should be warm to the touch, or about 110°F. If it is not warm enough the yeast won't activate. Hot water will kill the yeast.
- Flour - I like to use all purpose flour. You can use bread flour if you would like a chewier crust.
- Salt - necessary for flavour
How do I make pizza dough?
Start by adding yeast, sugar and warm water to the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let it sit for 15 minutes. Add in 2 cups of flour and the salt to the bowl. Knead the dough until it comes together and cleans the sides of the bowl. If you need more flour, add in a few tablespoons at a time. The amount of flour needed will vary depending on the temperature of your kitchen, humidity or dryness.
Place the dough into a well greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise at room temperature until it has doubled in size. Punch down the dough and flatten it into a circle. Gently push the edges to fit the pizza pan. Top with your favourite ingredients and cook it at a very high temperature.
Other easy dinner recipes you might like:
- PIZZA RICE CASSEROLE
- SPICY ITALIAN SAUSAGE PENNE
- PIEROGI CASSEROLE
- BEST SPAGHETTI MEAT SAUCE RECIPE
- CHEESY CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- 2 - 2.5 cups (250g -312g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk instant yeast, sugar and warm water together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of the flour and the salt. Knead until the dough comes together and cleans the side of the bowl. If more flour is needed, at it in a bit at a time.
- Grease a large bowl with butter or oil. Place the dough in it and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 to 1.5 hours, until it is doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 500°F and grease a 14" pizza pan (or two 14" pizza pans if you want thin crust pizza). Punch down dough and then flatten it into a disc. I like to let gravity help me with this a bit by holding it in the air and turning it. Then I place it into the pan and gently flatten it all around so it fits the pan.
- Top the pizza with pizza sauce and your favourite toppings such as mozzarella, pepperoni, Italian sausage, green peppers and onions. Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- The amount of flour to liquid in making bread varies due to kitchen temperature, humidity or dryness. Start by adding 2 cups of flour into the dough. Add a couple tablespoons at a time until the dough comes together and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- I topped this pizza with pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, Italian sausage, onions and green pepper. Top it with any combination of ingredients you like.
- I like to add a bit of flavour to the crust of the pizza with melted butter and Italian seasoning. I melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan and add in 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Bake the pizza until it is almost ready. Take it out of the oven and brush the crust with the melted butter mixture. Place the pizza back into the oven until it is done. You want to add the crust seasoning near the end because the high temperature of the oven would burn the Italian seasoning if it was in the oven too long.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.
This recipe was adapted by Ricardo Cuisine.