This homemade chicken noodle soup is perfect for fall. It has big chunks of chicken breast, vegetables, and fresh thyme, all in a delicious flavoured broth.
I love chicken noodle soup and so I set out to create a homemade version that is miles better than any kind you get in a tin can. This soup is perfection, if I might say. It is also way easy to make!
How to make chicken noodle soup
You start off by melting butter in a small stock pot. Add in your mirepoix (the flavour base) - onion, carrot, and celery. Also add in some fresh thyme and poultry seasoning. Once softened, you will add in the chicken broth and the chicken breasts. The chicken breasts will cook through while also soaking up all that flavour. Once chicken has been cooked through, remove from the pan and allow it to cool enough to handle it.
While we are waiting for the chicken to cool, we will make a rue. Melt some butter in a small saucepan and then add flour to it; whisk constantly. You want to cook it long enough in order to cook out the flour taste, but not too long, as it will burn. Cook the flour for only a few minutes. Immediately you will add in a ladle-full of soup. Whisk until smooth and then pour it all back into the soup. Stir the soup until it has thickened.
Finish off the soup
You will then add in a tiny bit of whipping cream for creaminess. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the egg noodles. Once the chicken has cooled, shred and add them to the soup. Cook the soup until the egg noddles are al dente and the chicken has been warmed through.
Warm yourself up with this delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle soup. I hope your family loves it as much as mine.
- 2 tsp + 1 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1800 ml chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles, broad
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tsp butter in a small stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, thyme and poultry seasoning. Stir occasionally until softened.
- Add chicken broth and chicken to the stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken has been cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let cool enough to handle.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk constantly until the rue turns light brown, about 1 minute. Ladle in some of the soup and whisk until smooth. Pour back into soup and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.
- Bring soup to a simmer and stir in heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper. Add egg noodles.
- Shred chicken and add to soup. Cook soup until egg noddles are al dente and chicken has been warmed through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1290mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.