These grinch cupcakes are super cute and are sure to change even the grinch-iest of hearts.
With the new Grinch movie out, I thought I would give these adorable cupcakes a try. To be honest, the decorating took awhile as the buttercream is divided and tinted 4 different colours. But they sure are worth the extra work!
I made the cupcake sponge the day before I decorated. I am a huge fan of diving up any type of work and often make cake sponges the day before decorating to save time. So give these cute cupcakes a try. Your heart will grow 3 sizes bigger when you see the outcome of all your hard work!
How do I make these grinch cupcakes?
You start off by making vanilla cupcakes. Vanilla is best for these cupcakes because they are easier to dye green. These vanilla cupcakes are super moist and full of vanilla flavour. You will dye the cupcake batter green with food colouring gels. I am a huge fan of gels as you only need a drop or two to get the hue you need. They also don't add any extra liquid to your batter.
Once the cupcakes have been baked and cooled, the fun decorating can begin! I used an American Buttercream, but free to use whatever kind of frosting you prefer. Divide your frosting into four bowls. Tint one red, one green, one yellow, one black and leave the other one white.
The cupcakes will keep for up to 3 days, refrigerated in an airtight container.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these:
- SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH RASPBERRY ICING
- PERFECTLY SPICED GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- WHIPPED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- CHEWY CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- MINCEMEAT TARTS
- 1 and 2/3 cup (210g) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (125g)granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (61g) vanilla yogurt, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (681g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 cups (791g) confectioner’s sugar
- red, yellow, blue and black gel food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar together. The mixture will be gritty. Whisk in yogurt, milk, egg whites and vanilla.
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Dye the batter a Grinch green colour (4 drops of yellow gel food colouring and 1 drop of blue)
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and combine. Slowly add in confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- Leave 1/2 cup buttercream white. Dye 1/4 cup of the buttercream black, 1/4 cup of the buttercream yellow, 2 cups buttercream red and dye the remaining buttercream Grinch green (2 drops of yellow gel food colouring and a tiny drop of blue).
- You can make the vanilla cupcakes the day before decorating. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I highly suggest using food colour gels. You only need a few drops to get the colours you need, and they don't add any extra liquid to your batter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.