This Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole is such an easy weeknight meal and is loaded with comforting flavours. It is made with a creamy mushroom sauce, gooey cheese, shredded chicken and egg noddles.
I have said this before, but I LOVE an easy, throw together dinner such as this one. This Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole is so easy. It is made stove top and it is nearly a one dish meal - the egg noddles are cooked in a separate pot, but then added to the sauce once they are ready.
This recipe calls for two cooked chicken breasts, but you could easily use some rotisserie chicken or even some turkey! This is great for using whatever left overs you might have.
What ingredients do I need to make Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole?
- Extra broad egg noddles
- Red pepper, onion, garlic - Flavour!
- Habinaro pepper - this adds only a tiny bit of heat but lots of flavor. Feel free to leave this out if you don't want to add it.
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Milk - I used 1%, but you can use whatever you have
- Cheese - I used cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded - or some rotisserie chicken, turkey, whatever you have!
Can this be made ahead?
Absolutely! Prepare the dish as per the recipe and then refrigerate it until you are ready to serve. Place it in a casserole dish and heat it up in the oven until it is warmed through. Add extra cheese on top if you feel!
Can you freeze this recipe?
I find that egg noddles do not warm up again well after freezing. For best taste, I don't recommend freezing this dish.
How do I make Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole?
First, cook your egg noodles as per package directions and drain. Using a large pan, cook the peppers, onion and garlic. Add in the mushroom soup, milk and cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese has melted. Add in the chicken and egg noddles and stir to warm through.
Here are some more easy weeknight meals:
- PIZZA RICE CASSEROLE
- BEST SPAGHETTI MEAT SAUCE RECIPE
- SPICY ITALIAN SAUSAGE PENNE
- PIEROGI CASSEROLE
- SIMPLE EGG SALAD SANDWICH
- 8 oz extra broad egg noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 habenero pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 284 ml can of cream of mushroom soup
- 284 ml 1% milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook egg noddles to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Grease a large pan with olive oil and cook peppers and onion over medium heat until vegetables are soft. Add in garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup, milk and cheese. Stir until combined and cheese has melted.
- Add in chicken and egg noodles and stir to combine.
- You can substitute the chicken breasts for rotisserie chicken or turkey.
- Feel free to use any melty type cheese - mozzarella, Gouda, provolone...
- This dish can be made ahead. Prepare the full dish and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When you are prepared to serve it, transfer to a casserole dish and reheat in the oven. Sprinkle some extra cheese ontop for extra cheesy dish!
- I do not recommend freezing this dish as I find egg noddles to not reheat well after freezing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 523mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.